173 new entries in British Sign Language SignPuddle

Trevor Jenkins bslwannabe at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 11 10:57:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Ronald Dettloff
<signpreach at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

Is British the same as Australian signs?

There's a huge overlap. One of my BSL tutors was an Australian living in
London. It can cause some hilarity if students are unaware of dialectal
usages; for example, the AUSLAN sign for Coca-Cola is a BSL sign for a very
interesting but rude activity. ;-)

If you want chapter and verse on the dis-similarities between the three
languages (I would include NZSL with them) then some members of the
Deafness, Cognition and Language research team at University College,
London would be able to give you a more precise answer; at least two of
their researchers (Robert Adam and Dr Adam Schembri) are Australians but
researching BSL. Dr Schembri has lead the BSL Sign Language Corpus project
since its inception -- based on parallel work he did with the AUSLAN Corpus
project. (Though I believe Dr Schembri has recently returned to Australia.)
Or you might want to contact Dr Jemina Napier in Australia who is a native
BSL signer but combining academics with working as an AUSLAN interpreter.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!