AW: SignWriting Workshop June 28 - July 4th, 2013

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Apr 3 14:20:50 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
April 3, 2013

Hello Lasse and everyone -

That is a good idea…we could have a "Why? or Why Not? photo…we thought of that too…but then the answer would have to be more broad than the one reason you give, which is an important reason for sure…but  not the only reason for SignWriting in this workshop…

It all depends on who attends the workshop and for what reason… I am hoping that some members of the San Diego Deaf Community with attend…If they do, then there are some who want to write their own poetry in ASL, and write their own ASL literature directly in SignWriting without any connection to any spoken language…just as we write directly in our own native languages much of the time, without connecting what we are writing to any other language…for Deaf adults in particular, this is another reason for SignWriting, besides the educational aspects of learning other languages…

I also hope that researchers, such as Erika, who work with linguistics, anthropology and so forth, and other SignWriting users, such as programmers who have developed their own software (big grin ;-) might want to attend too, and each participant's needs for learning SignWriting are different -

But you are right that the flyer could use that kind of explanation…maybe on the back - no room on the front ;-)

Thank you for your work with Deaf Education, Lasse and team -

Val ;-)