For Marquita - ASL Thesis project using SignWriting

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 27 05:19:49 UTC 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 2:56 PM, Marquita Formosa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am sorry for not sending earlier but at the moment together with my thesis I
> am also having exams and assignments.
>
> I have tried to do the signs needed fro my demo using the Translate feature on
> the signpuddle.
>
> Cherie, Adam,
>
> May I ask you if you can kindly take a look at the signs I did please in the links
> below? Thanks in Advance.
>
> First Sentence
>
>    The cat is white
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2122

Looks fine to me.

> Second Sentence
>
>    Who is there?
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2125

This isn't bad either, although I would place the arrow closer to the hand symbol for THERE like below:

> Third Sentence
>
>    Do you love me?
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2146

The first two are fine for YOU LOVE, but the last sign is not the sign for ME and it would also need to have the raised eyebrows.

> Fourth Sentence
>
>    He lives in America
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2147

This is fine.

> Fifth Sentence
>
>    Today the weather is sunny
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2150

I would personally use a different sign for TODAY and I don't think I would use WEATHER for the sentence at all. SUNNY looks really complicated to read. I wonder if there is an easier spelling of it. Here is my try on the sentence.

> Sixth Sentence
>
>    What is your name?
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2157

The last sign is not what would be used for asking this type of question, and you also need to have the eyebrows down. I rewrote it below.

> Seventh Sentence
>
>    My hair is black. (changed this from eyes to hair and from brown to black)
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2158

I would use a different hand symbol for HAIR and also not use the rims on the head symbols. Probably more my style of writing, but I just find it easier to read without the rims.

> Eighth Sentence
>
>    Where is my Dictionary?
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2160

Looks good to me.

> Ninth Sentence
>
>    You are young.
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2161

Not bad either.

> Tenth Sentence
>
>    On Saturday I watch a film. (changed this completely as it was The  kid is
> playing)
>    http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=2169

The I is wrong here like it was for ME before in "Do you love me?" and WATCH used means to look after rather than to leisurely watch.