Evolution to Simplified SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 8 21:56:20 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
August 8, 2013

Thank you very much for this message, Madson, for your video, and for the work you are doing to update and simplify your writing. I love your newly updated web site…congratulations on accomplishing so much!

LIBRAS ESCRITA
http://www.librasescrita.com.br/

I too, as you mentioned, need to update the logos and icons on my old web pages too (over 3000 web pages since 1996). I am a little slow but I am trying to improve a few icons each day...

Writing systems evolve and simplify with use…and writing the Position of Contact and eliminating unnecessary single Touch Stars is one way to simplify writing…We are also not using the Simultaneous Line as much as we used to - the little curved line that connects Movement Arrows is not necessary now because we are "assuming" same-time-movement" unless otherwise written...

I love Nancy Romero's ASL Bible Dictionary. It is a very good example of simplified writing. Thank you, Nancy, for showing us a wonderfully easy-to-read style of writing. Reading your Bible translations are easy because of your simple writing style:

ASL Bible Dictionary
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=28

ASL Bible Books
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=151

I am really happy to see that someone updated the sign for HOUSE in the ASL Dictionary Puddle.

Sign for HOUSE
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=1779,9959&sTrm=house&type=any&sTxt=&sSrc=&

I just took a screen capture of it - It is attached below...

The simpler writing is just as clear and has fewer symbols… Very cool - whoever wrote this!!  Thank you -

Val ;-)

---------