Terminology - your advice?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 14 16:21:48 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
August 14, 2013

Hello Bill!

Thank you for your great response to my question about terminology…the question was…what is the difference between the terms Online, Internet, and Web?

 I really appreciate your point that the terminologies overlap … recently I have had three different people ask me if we will have a course online …and meanwhile, we already have web pages - Those are html pages in a browser - that teach SignWriting. But I suspect they mean an "interactive course online" where they can post on a bulletin board to ask the teacher questions and so forth…

And I love your paragraph below where you end in a smiley face ;-) Got it? Ha!

I think what you are saying is that since all the terminologies are starting to overlap, and since even PDF files do not have to be downloaded now to be read in a web browser or an e-book reading device, that maybe the term "online" and "offline" are good "catch-alls"" - and I agree -

except one day I thought I could use those two terms to describe SignPuddle Online and SignPuddle "Offline" for the PersonalPuddle software that can be used without an internet connection…but Steve pointed out to me that SignPuddle is run on a server, even when it is not connected to the internet, so the term Offline was not really right and instead we could use the term "Desktop" - and that is fine with me, but there will be a day when SignPuddle will be able to be used for writing signs, on an iPhone…Does an iPhone or an iPad or other kinds of tablets and phones have a desktop? Or are they always online?

Val ;-)

--------