Question about SignWriter Newsletter 1989 - 1998

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Aug 18 21:06:49 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
August 18, 2013

Question from a private email:
Two years after the Newspaper stopped there was software to type SignWriting, so there existed the Newsletter instead!? Is it still going on?
The last one I found was from spring 1998, when David Gunsauls started writing it.
Here is the link: http://www.signwriting.org/library/newsletter/index.html#newsletter
Is there just one person working an the newsletter? So it is not such a big thing like the newspaper?

Answer from Valerie Sutton:
From 1989 to 1998, there were sporadic publications of the SignWriter Newsletter. Some were printed, and some were only on the SignWriting web site. Here is a history timeline:

1981-1984 - SignWriter Newspaper

1986-1996 - Development of the SignWriter Computer Program

1988 - Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting (DAC) began under the umbrella of the Center for Sutton Movement Writing. The Center raises the funds to help support the DAC's projects. Some DAC projects in the 1980's and 1990's were to write a dictionary in ASL for the SignWriter DOS Computer Program, and to write the SignWriter Newsletter. The DAC also worked on two video series: The Lessons in SignWriting Video Series and the Deaf Perspectives on SignWriting Video Series.

1989 - First SignWriter Newsletter had its first publication typed by computer (not on the web yet) It was printed and distributed very poorly - Only to around 100 people - we did not have the funding to send it to more people.

1989-1998 - The Newsletter was printed occasionally - I need to scan in these old publications and place them on the web -

1994-1995 Video Series were produced - These are on the web on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/signwriting

For example: Deaf Perspectives Video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqgvDMvReQ&feature=share&list=PLF87D85B5919E8EE7

1996 to present - SignWriting web sites

1996 to present - SignWriting List

1998 to present - SignWriting Literacy Project

The development of the SignWriting Web Site in 1996, and the SignWriting List in 1996 (archives started in 1998), changed everything. There was not as much need for a Newsletter any longer, because we could reach people through email and through the web site. So the last newsletters are on this web page:

SignWriter Newsletters
http://www.signwriting.org/library/newsletter/

In time it would be good to scan in the old newsletters and place them on the web, and it would be good to write new newsletters - but I think the ASL Wikipedia Project is the best newsletter we can write! So that is our current project:

ASL Wikipedia Project
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: