Wikipedia - any recent updates?

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Aug 30 01:56:14 UTC 2013

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the questions.

On 8/29/13 6:48 PM, maria galea wrote:
> 1) Is Adam Frost still the ASL editor of the SignWriting Wiki?

Yes, Adam is the main force behind the writing and editing for the
Wikipedia with SignWriting.

> 2) Is this wiki http://www.signbank.org/wiki/the only known wiki
> available for a sign language written in Signwriting?

Originally, that address was a custom server that we administered that
ran on Valerie's servers.  Currently, that address forwards to
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org .  This server is running on
Wikimedia's servers, rather than Valerie's

The part of the URL "wmflabs.org" stands for Wikimedia Foundation Labs,
aka Wikimedia Labs, aka Wikitech.
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org

Wikimedia Labs is a great environment that allows users to create their
own server.  I created a custom installation for the ASL Wikipedia which
I am the administrator.

Before a new language can have an official Wikipedia, it must
demonstrate an active list of editors and a collection of well written
articles.  New test Wikipedia projects usually start on the Wikimedia
Incubator.  However, when we started the above Wikipedia project,
Incubator was unable to support the SignWriting script.
http://incubator.wikimedia.org

Several months ago, I was fortunate to attend a Wikimedia Hackathon in
Amsterdam. I posted a report on the discussion page.  Mine it the second
entry.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013#What_I_did_in_the_hackathon_27993

I was able to talk with several people at the Hackathon and figure out a
way for Incubator to support the SignWriting script.  It is a work in
progress, but very promising.

If you go to the main ASL page on Wikipedia you will see note about the
incubator project.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sign_Language

The link will open the ASL Wikipedia on Incubator.
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase

Or you can go directly to the main page.
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase/M529x544S2ff00482x483S20500519x504S18517503x517

The discussion page is very interesting.
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wp/ase/M529x544S2ff00482x483S20500519x504S18517503x517

Later this year, I hope to address some of the formatting issues and
start to move the articles from http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org over to
Incubator.

> 3) Can I still stay that its early stages of being a test/proof
> concept site (Frost, personal communication, June 2012) - or have
> things developed since then?

Being available on Incubator is a major step forward, but I think it is
valid to say that it is early stages.

> 4) Is the information I'm reading about here (and written by Steve
> Slevinski)
> http://signpuddle.net/download/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-00.html#signwriting_script
> up-to-date?

I did release a version draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-01, but it is
consistent with version 00.  I added some of the details from "Modern
SignWriting".
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-01

The symbol set has been stable since 2010 and the character encoding has
been stable since January 2012.

> Thank you very much for helping me out!!

Sure, I hope that helps.

Regards,
-Steve