Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology of sign language

Rachel Channon rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Dec 12 20:32:01 UTC 2013

First, as Maria and Valerie says, the open sign puddles cannot be used
for any kind of detailed statistical study as they stand.  Some of the
puddles could probably be used to check hunches, or look for certain
exceptions, but very carefully.  I believe there are ways to download
the name of the person who entered the data, so that it might be
possible to select just those persons whom you had information about.
Second, adding a field for morphology would never mean that that field
was required.  If you look at any sign puddle entry now, I am sure you
can see fields that are not used. So Stefan and Charles could go ahead
and write what THEY want to write.
The primary benefit of such a field is for researchers and
lexicographers.  One benefit of having it in the general sign puddle
is to keep research puddles similar to open sign puddles, so that
Steve doesn't have to juggle two different versions, and so that
someone who was hired to work on a research puddle because of their
experience with the open puddles would already be familiar with the
fields.  In other words, the field does no harm to the open puddles,
some writers might like to use some of its possibilities, and it would
be very valuable to researchers.

Sign language morphology is important because different kinds of signs
behave different phonologically. To take a simple example, if you
sorted all the signs in a puddle by whether or not they used the R or
W handshape, you should find that most of these signs are
fingerspelling.  If you have a field that you can mark off
"fingerspelling"  then you can ignore all the fingerspelling and focus
on the unusual signs that are not fingerspelling and have those
handshapes and ask why they are happening.
Rachel