Fwd: Fake sign-language interpreter at Mandela funeral

Fri Dec 13 01:44:35 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
December 12, 2013

Dear SignWriting List Members -
When I started watching President Obama give his speech at Nelson Madela’s memorial service on TV, I was so taken aback by the interpreter that I had to stop looking and just listen to President Obama’s words, rather that see the visual display that did not look like a sign language to me, but some “made-up invented gestures" - there were no facial expressions that made it “feel” like a natural sign language, and I remember thinking to myself “ that is the weirdest sign language I have ever seen - if we wrote it, it would be without facial expressions and really, the movements do not look like a natural sign language” and sure enough, it was not a sign language - that is a strange story and a concern - why was the Deaf Community not consulted when they hired their interpreters? Anyway, ironically, SignWriting could write the movements - language or not! I am glad someone spoke up and exposed him...

Begin forwarded message:

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu