AW: Teaching Signwriting to deaf children in Tunisia A PROPOSAL FOR ALL -- sample sentences

James Shepard-Kegl kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Wed Dec 25 19:55:46 UTC 2013

I claim no knowledge of French Sign Language, German Sign Language, Tunisian Sign Language --- oh, the list goes on and on.  I know a little bit about ASL.  And, I do know a few things about Nicaraguan Sign Language, especially on questions of grammar and syntax.  I am betting that other signed languages use similar grammatical strategies.  But, I could be wrong.

I would very much like to find out.  Anyone interested can help me by sending me translations in SignWriting of the English sentences listed below.  I also need the source of the translation, that is, whether the translation is coming from a hearing person who claims fluency in the sign language or from a natively fluent Deaf person or, better, group of persons.

If I receive a response, I will analyze the grammar and syntax and send for all to criticize my conclusions.  Photos along with SignWriting will be fine.  Either way, please capture head tilting and eye gazing in the SignWriting as these movements are often critical.  There are often different ways to convey the same idea.  So, sending me variations is fine.

I am not going to present a full list of sentences.  For now, 15 will suffice -- to see if anyone is motivated to respond.  And, please respond in parts -- don't wait to translate all 15 sentences.  And, do not give me English glosses for each sign.  Just write the translation.  Thank you so much!

1. The butterfly flies to the flower.

2.  The airplane is flying.

3.  The airplane spirals downward.

4.  The boy climbs up the tree.

5.  I run from my house to school.

6.  I go by bicycle from my house to school.

7.  I go by taxi from my house to school.

8.  My baby drinks milk.

9.  A man is walking and a car hits him.

10.  The cup is on the table.

11.  The cup is on the top shelf of the refrigerator.

12.  The man puts the cup on the table.

13.  The mother gives the gift box to the child.

14.  The woman hits the man in the face.

15.  The cat jumps out of the box and onto the table.

-- James