discussion: design of bent fingers

Rachel Channon rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Fri Feb 15 19:30:57 UTC 2013

Two examples:
ASL fingerspelled C is normally a curved handshape, E is an
angular/hooked/bent handshape.  Under some circumstances, the normally
curved C handshape might become more angular (perhaps when
fingerspelling E-C-E fast)  or the E handshape might relax into a more
curved handshape (perhaps L-E-O might produce this).  ((I'm inventing
these examples just to make the point here - they may be wrong).
I would think that you might want to continue writing the C with a
more curved handshape and the E with a more angular representation
even if they looked identical on the surface.
Is this what you mean, Stefan?
Best, Rachel

Rachel Channon
Sign Language Investigations, LLC