AW: SW-L Digest - 31 Dec 2012 to 1 Jan 2013 (#2013-2)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Jan 2 20:36:08 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
January 2, 2013

Hello Everyone -

If our List conversations remain joyful and pleasant, and relaxed and factual, I am happy to discuss any symbol - SignWriting is my gift to the world, and just as long as the conversations are happy ones, I am glad to discuss anything...

I am unable to handle tense discussions however - If discussions get too tense - I will withdraw if they are too stressful for me...

There are many ways to write SignWriting around the world and since thousands of people are writing using SignWriting now, we have to all accept the fact that there are different ways to write signs around the world, including the hand symbols...

Some people are still writing with full stick figures in Receptive mode (Honduras), and some are using full stick figures in Expressive mode (Denmark), and some people are writing from left-to-right (DELEGS ;-), and some are writing from right-to-left (in Saudi Arabia) and here in my office, we are writing down in vertical columns (SignPuddle and SignWriter Studio) -

So there are choices and I want SignWriting to remain the flexible tool that it has always been -

The grid of 96 hand rotations and flops gives everyone choices and all of them are ok if they work for the writer and the readers - So choose from the grid of 96 as you need to...

There is a new computer program called SignWriter Studio by Jonathan Duncan from Honduras… In SignWriter Studio, you never see the full grid of 96, but are given different choices and based on those choices up pops your symbol - It is very cool because there is some keyboarding in SignWriter Studio too -different than SignWriter DOS - but typing by keyboard none the less…

SignWriter Studio Download
http://signwriterstudio.com/download.htm

it is for Windows only…

Val ;-)