Tunisian Conference and SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jan 5 15:52:19 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
January 5, 2013

Hello Dali and Charles -
This a beautiful poster, Dali, and it is exciting news - Congratulations on this accomplishment. And please send my very best wishes to everyone at the new Tunisian Deaf Academy. If you would like, I can make a little video in English, on YouTube, saying "hello" to everyone in Tunisia….maybe someone can interpret what I say, for those who need it…I want them to know that we are happy to meet them too...

And Charles is right that SignWriting is not the name of your language, but simply the "written movement alphabet" or "script" used to write Tunisian Sign Language, so I would suggest it to be very simple, like this:

"Arabic, French, English and Tunisian Sign Language: Let's Live Together!!!!!!"

The fact that all four languages are written languages should be assumed (smile ;-)

So the name SignWriting (with a capital S and W) is the name of the script used to write Tunisian Sign Language, just as English and French are written with the Roman Alphabet…most people don't know that, so they call it the French Alphabet and the English Alphabet, so Tunisian Sign Language has its own written alphabet too…

Anyway - I love your poster and thank you for telling us about the event -

Val ;-)

PS. The new SignWriting app from Germany is very well done and useful, and I will be telling all of you more about it soon, and also answering more of your technical questions, Dali…thank you for writing to me ….

--------