A Pear Story

KJ Boal kjoanne403 at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Jan 22 02:32:33 UTC 2013

Thanks for your input, Adam.

I guess I should clarify how I would write ‘pear’ – given those handshapes,
yes, your first writing is what I was thinking. But really, if I were
writing it the way I sign it, it would look more like this:

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/glyphogram.php?size=0.7&ksw=M28x26S203
1an5xn10S37706n28xn3S154114xn26S213007x8S26502n15x12

The description I’ve heard of the sign, all my life, is that you squeeze the
pear and the juice runs down your wrist. That’s why I thought the arrows
were going the wrong way; it just isn’t a sign I’ve ever seen. (Guess I
don’t talk about pears much, at least not outside of Canada!)

KJ

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Adam Frost
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 9:41 AM
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: A Pear Story

I guess I should come out of the wood works for a short while to put in my
two cents. :-)

Cherie Wren, I agree that we can't honestly say that someone is wrong in
their writing without some investigation of whether it be regional
variation, individual variation, or even writing style. I have seen a lot of
sign variations partly because that is my field of study as well as it being
my native language that I live, breath, read, write, sign, analyze, and
teach everyday. I will be the first to admit, however, that even I haven't
seen every variation out there because new ones pop up all the time. Having
said that, let's have a continuation of discussing. :-)

Kelly Jo, I personally don't see anything with the arrows in the writing
that Charles chose, which was written by Natasha. I am not sure if I
understand what you are trying to say, though. You say that the arrows
should be going to the left rather than the right? Would this writing be
what you suggest?

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/glyphogram.php?size=1&ksw=M23x36S15711
n6xn36S18508n23xn23S21300n7xn11S26a02n4x9

Or are you meaning this writing?

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/glyphogram.php?size=1&ksw=M23x43S15711
n6xn42S18508n23xn29S21300n7xn17S27106n4x3

And, Cherie, you mentioned another way of signing it. Is this close to what
you meant?

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/glyphogram.php?size=1&ksw=M17x40S15712
n15x0S18536n17x15S21300n7xn21S26a00n10xn39

Now, if I were writing this sign myself, I would have chosen a different
palm orientation for the non-dominate hand. In fact, that is the only
difference that I would personally make to Natasha's writing in SignPuddle.
(Ok, maybe I would change the placing of some of the symbols, but it is
basically the same. GRIN)

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/glyphogram.php?size=1&ksw=M45x15S15711
n28xn14S18518n45xn1S213004xn7S26a0631xn12

Maybe 2¢ has gone up because of inflation? ;-)

Adam