SignPuddle database design options

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 4 14:31:53 UTC 2013

I wouldn't mind a search field by source, but if you start putting things into additional folders in the SignPuddle it becomes next impossible for a lexical project (like the one I'm doing) to complete a section on a particular handshape (how I'm sorting the LIBRAS dictionary) because suddenly there is a whole other layer to open and search through. Having it a true database so that I can search by every field enables me to put a lexical item in by choice only where there is attestation by a known source, and to immediately identify an entry as a "student" entry.

What I would like is for there to be a "minimum" necessary to put in when creating an entry in the SignPuddle.

1) Actual sign - the whole sign, no student entry that does not contain ANY SignWriting. Put in a place holder of at least one "grapheme" so we know you are researching something.
2) Attribution - where is this sign used. Where did the researcher see it. On the street, in a lab, in a lecture, or geographical location, or a databank (I'm working with about 5 other dictionaries right now).
3) Transcriber - who put it in the dictionary. If the person is a student, then one knows right away, if the person is a researcher, then that name is known.
4) Meaning in the parallel spoken language. At the moment, all the dictionaries are by a specific spoken language in translation. We haven't gotten to the point that a sign has no meaning (even if it a full sentence) in the spoken language. Example "this is not my responsibility" is a very simple brush off the shoulder in ASL but one cannot simply translate it. "touch-finish-shoulder" unless your intent in a lexicon is descriptive, not translation. "Throw my nose away" is descriptive, "don't care" is not. We do need more lexical items in the dictionary for things like "touch-finish" which has a series of possible English translations in context.

So far, my work with the LIBRAS dictionary has been a great deal of fun, I'm learning new signs every day.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: maria galea <signwriting.maria at GMAIL.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: SignPuddle database design options

Hi everyone,
thanks for the interesting discussions :)

It just crossed my mind just now...Steve, could all entries be sorted into different folders. I'm thinking of the issue of 'student/test' entries..
Imagine you have a group working on dictionary entries..could they somehow input all their entries into a single folder..Then when student/test enters an entry they could save all their work into a specific folder.

Sorry if this sounds mundane..it's just that when I search for entries in Puddle

 all entries are listed and mixed together..and i was thinking wouldn't it be more user-friendly if you could search by folders of people who input entries..something like how we keep files and folders in windows..
just a thought.
maria

On 3 July 2013 17:00, Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

I like that. It lets people know what this classifier is for and can cross-reference to other terms in a lexicon. If I show the sign "accident" in ASL I am using a classifier, but I can also show the sign "park the car" with the same classifier and use the same handshape as the number "3" not as the "classifier-3". Defining terms is always a part of the linguistic historian's presentations.

>Charles Butler
>chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
>240-764-5748
>Clear writing moves business forward.