QUESTION: Dynamics and Timing Symbols

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Mar 2 21:00:56 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
March 2, 2013

Please excuse my delay in answering this question. Thank you, Charles, for caring about writing and asking questions… Second, I saw that Madson and perhaps others answered you already on Facebook - and they wrote it well too...smile…so you are getting plenty of feedback... Thanks to everyone -

Regarding the Strike symbol in your writing… The drum beat that you are trying to write below does not actually contact a surface but is mimicking the feeling of contacting a surface with the drumming movement - So that would not be written with a Strike Symbol, because the Strike must show contact with force, and there is no real contact happening…So the Tension Symbol at the end of the movement, or even the Fast Symbols would be substituted, rather than using the Strike symbols (if you feel they are necessary - they may not be - maybe too much detail?)...

Regarding the Alternating Symbol - no I would not use that either. When we read a group of arrows with the left and right hands, we always read the arrows from the Center - Out. So the left and right arrow that are closest to the center are read first, and then read out one by one - so there is no need to also write an Alternating Symbol…since the Alternating feeling is already there if you follow the Center-Out rule...

So I would write it this way, if we want to write lots of detail (smile):

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=12&sgn=46&sid=3264

Val ;-)

--------