SLOVENIA: Permission to Translate SignWriting Textbooks

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Mar 7 23:54:28 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
March 7, 2013

See my answer below...

On Mar 6, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Edi Strouhal <e.strouhal at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> And now I have one question for You: I was thiking that it will be very good
> in Slovenian to translate your literature "SignWriting - a complete system
> for writing and reading signed languages". Because we have now already some
> writing Slovenian signs words I hope that it will be possible to replace
> axamples with adequately Slovenian signs for different movements and signs
> which are presented in this literature. What permission I need to do it?
> Thank You for your answer! A nice greetings from Slovenia. Edi.

------

Hello Edi -
YES... you always have my full permission to translate any of our SignWriting textbooks. This is true for everyone. If there are others on the SignWriting List who wish to translate our books, we are always grateful for your time and contributions. Then we can post those translations on our web site…So tell me when you have a book translated and ready for posting…

I would suggest that perhaps you translate this book first…the SignWriting Basics Instruction Manual…since it is just enough for most people to use SignWriting, without being too overwhelming…We distribute this book all over the world, and some copies were donated to Slovenia last year to another teacher of the Deaf…perhaps you have seen this book?

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs9/sw0821_SignWriting_Basics_Instruction_Manual_Sutton.pdf

But then, later, translating the Parkhurst's book: "SignWriting, A Complete System for Reading and Writing Signed Languages" will be a good one to translate too…It is published by our organization here, and is an older book. The chapters are all in Microsoft Word on the web so it is easy to translate because of that:

Download Chapters of the Parkhurst's SignWriting book in PDF or Microsoft Word:

PDF of complete book
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs5/sw0493-SWLessonsBook-Parkhurst-EngLSE.pdf

Microsoft Word Files chapter by chapter
http://www.signwriting.org/spain/lecciones/index01.html