Sign puddle online does not translate existing words

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 2 17:11:12 UTC 2013

IF this does not work from a compatible program then the compatibility program of the major SignWriting programs need to all be made compatible. I know that this is a challenge, but making a new signwriting translator without a compatibility check seems a little futile. If the main database can't retrieve the words, then the point of Open Source is not being fulfilled.

To do Open Source means that all output from a given input must be compatible to the central databank, in the case, SignBank, SignPuddle, and all of those others created.

Is it not part of the spec of importing signs? Is there not a command to say "which of the following compatible programs are you using to import to SignPuddle?" "have you contact Steve Slevinski to ensure that the program will in fact import your signs in a form that is acceptable to the data retrieval function."

Else, it is a very large learning curve.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Stephen E Slevinski Jr <slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: Sign puddle online does not translate existing words

On 10/2/13 11:37 AM, André L wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Many of the words I entered in sign puddle using sign studio are
        not displayed in the translate feature.
>Only the words are displayed without sign.
>However, with a seach on the same words, the sign is displayed.

Hi Andre,

The translate feature works with individual signs that were created
    in SignMaker.

The translate feature does not work with sign texts that were
    created with SignText.

Looking at the "assis" entry:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=47&sid=4400

The sign is boxed and a lower font size.  This indicates it was
    created with SignText.  Under the "Source", you can see the
    "SignText data" links.  This sign will not work in the current
    translate.

Here is "assistant" in the same dictionary.

Notice that it is not boxed and a larger font size.  This indicates
    is was created with SignMaker.  Under the "Search.." links, you can
    see the "Sign data" links.  This sign will work in translate.

So that's the problem.  You say you created this with "sign
    studio".  Are you talking about Jonathan's SignWriter Studio?  Or
    did you use SignText?

The solution is to move the signs from the sign text area to
    individual signs.  I'm not sure the best way to do this.

How many entries are like this?

Regards,
sutton at signwriting.org
Post Messages to the SignWriting List: