AW: AW: The return of fingerspelling to SignPuddle

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Oct 15 14:32:27 UTC 2013

On 10/14/13 7:07 PM, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:

> In the end you find these "Umlaute" = Ä, Ö, Ü and the ss, ß and sch

Hi Stefan,

I should be able to handle Ä, Ö, Ü and the ß.  A slight change to
support unicode will be needed.

For the "ss" and the "sch", are these always changed?  If so, I can
support these as well.

Each fingerspelling alphabet is defined with a substitution list in a
relatively easy to create config file. Currently, this is all or
nothing.  If I create a stepped approach, the first step would replace
"ss" and "sch" and maybe other unicode strings.  The second step would
replace the rest. This model should work for other sign languages as well.

FingerSpeller currently supports the ASL Dicitonary fingerspelling. The
config file is complete and installed.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/data/sgn/4.fngr

I used Adam's work for the ASL dictionary.  He labeled his with
"Fingerspelling" in the text.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sTxt=Fingerspelling

I will be adding the ASL Bible Dictionary fingerspelling next.  Thanks
Nancy for creating and labeling your entries:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=28&sTxt=alphabet

Thanks Stefan for the SignMail.  The SignText Options link included the
data I needed to create this.  The German Sign Language config file is
nearly ready.
Some manual adjustments for center-alignment and the config file is ready.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/data/sgn/53.fngr

Charles, I will get to the Libras fingerspelling as well. If you can
mark the entries with special text or send SignMail, I can do the same
thing for Libras.

Thanks everyone for their help,
-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org