revisiting the book idea

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 5 14:22:13 UTC 2013

I thought I submitted something and it was shot down. I tried to interpret the story, but I just got nitpicking, not simply "your story is different than mine".

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway <erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: revisiting the book idea

There is a publisher who would like to read the manuscript, but at the same time I don't want to hurry anyone :)

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Claudia S. Bianchini <chiadu14 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Erika,
>I'll try to do it and to obtain ot from my deaf colleagues in Italy (not sure they'll do... :-/ ) ... have you a deadline?
>Claudia
>

>2013/8/26 Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway <erhoffma at oberlin.edu>
>
>Hi all-
>>
>>As you may remember, a while back we had a conversation about whether listmembers would be interested in creating a short SW document for inclusion in the book I'm working on. What I originally proposed was:
>>

>>"What if we selected some kind of passage that all of you who
were willing could translate into your respective sign language and write up
using SW? I could devote a chapter of the book to these different texts, which
would allow for a comparison across both different sign languages and different
ways of using SW. Each writer could perhaps reflect on the choices they made in creating their document, including perhaps how their
backgrounds/goals affect these choices (since some of you are poets, some linguists, etc). And perhaps participants could also
provide their own thoughts about what we can learn from the comparison of these
texts."

>>We discussed at length what would be the best kind of thing to use as the prompt for such a passage. It seemed that the thing most agreeable would be to use a simple image as a prompt, something that would lead to interesting sentence but not take too much of your time to create. I proposed using the two images attached here, writing perhaps one or two sentences about each, for a total of 2-4 sentences.
>>

>>Well, I just got a prompt from a potential publisher asking when I can give them a manuscript draft. So I figured I had better re-open the conversation!
>>

>>Here's what I think would be ideal:
>>

>>If those of you willing to do so would create brief texts based on the images and post them to the list. I am interested not only in the texts, but in the rich conversations about the different languages and writing styles that this will likely generate. As I wrote to the publisher:
>>
>>"I
will invite SignWriters to contribute SignWritten texts to the book and to
participate in the analysis of these texts"