help with writing an ASL sentence for an academic paper

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 8 15:43:18 UTC 2013

Perfect. Shows parallelism of concepts.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Adam Frost <icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: help with writing an ASL sentence for an academic paper

Here is a new translation. I feel that this is better than the one that I had done before.

Glossing of the above sentence:
THIS/HERE EXAMPLE SENTENCE, ASL, SIGNWRITING.
Translation of the above sentence:

This example sentence is in ASL and SignWriting.
The first 3 signs are topicalized because of the brow raising followed by a pause. The last two signs are separated by a pause to signify "and". I did think about wether or not I should place them in left and right lanes, but then decided against it because I am not comparing the two concepts.
You might notice that I completely avoided the use of "written" and "with". Part of it was because it was giving me a struggle in how to translate it, but also because I realized that the sentence was actually making two statements: this is an ASL example and that it was written in SignWriting. When I played with writing two separate sentences, I realized that if I were talking with my friends that I would just say "This is in SignWriting" rather than "This is written in SignWriting", so I went with the idea that the example is in ASL and SignWriting.
Adam
SignText Options

Courtesy of SignBank.org

Dear list members particularly ASL users,