AW: help with writing an ASL sentence for an academic paper

André L andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA
Mon Sep 9 03:07:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am just a hearing beginner, but when I add a sign in LSQ dictionnary, I try to respect if the hand is in diagonal with the body.
In my mind, hands are perpendicular or parallel, but when I copy a video of a deaf person or when I sign, often, hands are in diagonal.  This is because of physiological comfort.
Each time I write a hand shape in diagonal, it feels more aesthetic and more authentic.

Details are what make a difference for me.

André Lemyre

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 22:28:32 +0200
From: stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Subject: AW: help with writing an ASL sentence for an academic paper
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

Hi Cherie and everybody,

-hm  - smile – same
thing with your spelling of „write“

In this case you inform
us, that you intend to express your idea ...”in signwriting I write down in columns, and so the same on
my palm.”

I have difficulty to
perform your sign ...  left hand parallel to the floor palm up. Right hand
parallel to the wall – back of hand to the right, moving back several
times while index-thumb unit brushes the left palm. ...mh

All best

Stefan