AW: Heel of Hand or Top View

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Fri Sep 20 20:47:32 UTC 2013

Stefan,

At first, I was beginning to think the gap meant that the thumb was
beyond the heel of the hand.  But then I realized that the thumb is so
close to the heel that it could be thought of as on the same plane.
Now if I was showing fingers bending down in the heel view, they would
be beyond the heel and a gap would seem to be natural there.  It's a
common practice in art and drafting to leave such a gap when indicating
something is beyond.

Of course, that begs the standard - for if we show the thumb not gapped
and the fingers gapped, is that better than setting a rule that all
lines representing digits (fingers and thumb) when in the heel view need
to have a gap?

Bill