SW for fieldwork in Nicaragua

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Sep 22 19:33:18 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
September 22, 2013

Hello James!
Great to see your answer here on the SignWriting List. People may not realize that SignWriting is used in Nicaragua since around 1995? Or perhaps earlier? … and it is mostly because of the hard work done by you and Dr. Judy Shepard-Kegl, in your schools in Bluefields and Condega, Nicaragua, and through your organization, the Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects:

Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects
http://www.nicaraguansignlanguageprojects.org

There are also other web sites with information, for example:

SignWriting in Nicaragua
http://www.signwriting.org/nicaragua/nicaragua.html
http://www.signwriting.org/nicaragua/nic001.html
http://www.signwriting.org/nicaragua/nic008.html

and ….

SignPuddle for Nicaragua
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index3.html#sgn-NI

Thank you for all the hard work, and the great answer below - You explained it so well, that SignWriting can be as simplified or as detailed as you need, depending on the situation…

A lot of people don't realize that SignWriting is written by hand a lot - it is not dependent on computers -

Val ;-)

--------

--------

-------