Heel of Hand or Top View

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 23 02:02:13 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
September 21, 2013

Hello Stefan, Jonathan, Adam and everyone…
So many messages, there are times I get confused as to how to answer so many different areas of interest…because they really are different issues being discussed in the same thread…so I will separate out the issues into two threads…

1. Software Searching for Heel of Hand & Top View
and
2. Writing Heel of Hand or Top View?

So I will use those Subjects above from now on

SignPuddle has searching features, and so does Jonathan's new software, SignWriter Studio, and some of the searching techniques in SignWriter Studio are different kinds of searches, so both programs are providing us gifts for researching symbols usage. Therefore I need to make sure that Jonathan really understands how we are using these unusual symbols.

So when I show Jonathan how we are using the Heel of Hand symbols to write ASL, I am not saying that anyone else needs to use these symbols - The International SignWriting Alphabet (the ISWA 2010) is large, and is really equivalent to the International Phonetic Alphabet (the IPA) for spoken languages. Since most people who write spoken languages do not know the symbols of the IPA at all, but instead use a simpler set of alphabetic characters to write their daily languages, I assume that writers in different sign languages will want to write simply too. I am glad to know, Stefan, that you are able to write as you choose, using the ISWA 2010, and if you do not choose to use the Heel of Hand, that is fine!

And it seems in your case, you are managing and using the ISWA 2010 well to do your work, and your Delegs software is using SignPuddle as a basis for the dictionary, so clearly you are managing with the current symbol set and I am glad to know that!

Yes, of course SignWriting has changed since my textbook in 1999! And you should have seen the way if looked in 1981, long before that … We used full stick figures and we wrote in the Receptive mode. When I taught SignWriting in Denmark in 1982, we did not have any of the palm facing that we use today - there was no black and white, showing back of the hand and the palm. There was no Top View. SignWriting was not born "fully grown". It took decades of learning what worked for people, and what didn't last.

I love the palm facing we have today with the Front View and Top View - I love the dark and light for the back of the hand and the palm of the hand - I wish I had established that back in the beginning because I had considered it way back then, but it took me time to jump into the palm facing system we have today - but thank goodness we did …  And it is working beautifully. But there was just one area - a few cases - where we were having problems writing certain positions, and I remembered an old symbol that we had used in the early 1980's, and I brought it back, and called it the "Heel of Hand" and it is solving some of those unusual signs where the Front View and the Top View are not quite right for certain signs - Adam was just telling me the other day how the Heel of Hand really helped to write a sign that just didn't look right otherwise, and so we are glad to be able to choose from those symbols occasionally.

And Stefan, I remember you did such great illustrations for the "in-Between Palm Facings" - remember those? For whatever reasons, those In-Between Palm Facings for the Flat Hand never worked for us - they are hard to read for some reason, but the Heel of Hand is working for us - I am not even sure why myself -

So, I will answer Jonathan now, and we can talk more about writing later - this is a busy week ahead -

Val ;-)

=======