Do you use Underline for proper names?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 13 15:18:27 UTC 2014

For the software vertical text one could put a "period" underline in the far left column rather than centered to indicate that a sign is proper. It's sort of what I have tried to do when showing that a head nod acts as a topical marker before a sentence. It's the software catch-up that we need occasionally to have both "spoken language" punctuation and "sign language" punctuation in the same narrative like the old DOS program allowed for.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: Do you use Underline for proper names?

SignWriting List
August 13, 2014

Yes, that’s right. Just as Adam said, it is the writer’s preference…

I do not underline proper nouns. But I am not a teacher of Deaf children either. Teachers need teaching tools, for teaching language in schools, and most of the work here, in our organization, is writing literature in vertical columns, which is really for those who already know the language…

So there are different needs and uses.

James Shepard-Kegl in Nicaragua, who teaches in schools with Deaf children, and of course Stefan Woehrmann in Germany, who has taught SignWriting for over a decade as well to deaf children - both teachers feel the need to add that information. And I am glad to know it is useful. Both teachers also write SignWriting horizontally, from left to right as well.

This is an important point. The underlining of anything in SignWriting only works well with horizontal writing.

In vertical writing, which our Deaf Action Committee requested back in 1984 (it took us time to develop the software for vertical writing) - but now we have vertical writing software and we are writing literature vertically for ASL.

In vertical columns the underlining can be confused with punctuation. Plus, when we write ASL literature, we are not teaching ASL, but instead writing for readers who already know ASL.

So if you look at the New Testament written in ASL, or the Wikipedia articles written in ASL, you will see that they are written vertically without underlining any part of ASL grammar -

So as Adam said, it is the writer’s preference…

And it is flexible - everyone is free to choose -

I agree that in spoken languages - at least in Portuguese and English, we capitalize proper nouns - that is a very good point - SignWriting does not have a standard for that, because underlining does not do well in vertical writing…

Sorry for the flexible answer - We have never found another solution so far - smile -

Val ;-)

-------