Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Jonathan Duncan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Fri Aug 15 01:57:19 UTC 2014

On 8/14/2014 10:37 AM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr wrote:
> Regarding the mechanics of sorting, the first part of a sign's name is
> an (invisible) ordered string of symbols that default to the standard
> ISWA 2010 collation everywhere.  The signs will sort properly within
> an Excel spreadsheet, in any database (SQLite, MySQL, ...), in any
> programming language (JavaScript, Python, ...).  Anywhere ASCII is
> supported, the signs will sort according to the standard ISWA 2010.
Completly agree with you here.

> Creating a customized collation order of the ISWA 2010 is possible
> with a symbol key rewrite.
Wouldn't a symbol key rewrite mean changing the keys for the symbols?
I had thought of something similar but not changing the symbol key. We
would create a new number the sort_weight.  We could combine a
sort_base_code, a sort_fill_order, sort_rot_order to get this number.

In SignWriter Studio I would add four columns to my symbol table.

For hands, both hands have the same sort weight either right hand or
left hand. See attached excel spreadsheat.

To sort no contact, then hands contacting hands, then  contacts of head,
then contact of body can be really tricky because there currently isn't
any way programatically to determine whether a hand is contacting
another hand.  There are some symbols to show that there is contact the
head or the body, these should work.

For heads modifying sort_base_code to be all the same, sort_fill_order
to 1, sort_rot_order to number they should be in sequence

See attached excel spreadsheat.

Then the ordered string fo sort_weight string will be created for the
signs's SignSpelling Sequence.  The equivalent Unicode value for the
sort_weight can be used in  DUCET table.

Which puddles would be the best to try this sorting on so we can check
to see if it is sorting the way we want?  It would have to already have
the SignSpelling Sequence filled out for most of the signs.

I still don't see a way to sort on symbols that don't exist in the
ISWA2010 like the one used in LIBRAS for dinosaur until we add them to
the symbols set because they don't exist yet.  This would be for a
future version of the symbol set.

Comments welcome
Jonathan