Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 20 16:08:29 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
August 20, 2014

Thank you, Charles, for this positive message, which does mean a lot to me…

As you can also see by my previous message, there have been others, like Ingvild, and yourself, and Adam and Steve and Jonathan and so many writers and programmers, who are all influencing our ever-evolving writing system…so keep up the good work!

I am sorry you have had to re-do your work, but I am in the same position - I would like to bring out SignBank Databases again someday, but will need a little funding (not a lot) to update to the latest FileMaker program, and to re-hire the programmer Todd to get the import feature to work so we can import signs from SignPuddle and SignWriter Studio, and then I will need to devote around month’s work to get SignBank working with the ISWA 2010 to coordinate with the programs SignPuddle and SignWriter Studio - so it can certainly be done and then you would have a tool to play with and create printed PDFs of dictionaries sorted…

But it is better that you use SignPuddle. Thanks to Steve Slevinski’s hard work and expertise, Steve has given us the SignSpelling Column feature, and SignPuddle sorts by the symbols of the ISWA 2010, so right now SignPuddle Online is already giving you what you need, Charles -

I agree with you that you need a private puddle to do your sorting routines because the public SignPuddles have different contributors and we may not be sorting exactly the way you would do it - so for you to really test your theories of sorting, you will need your own private puddle -

Let me talk to Steve about this and we will get back to you -

Blessings -

Val ;-)

--------

sutton at signwriting.org