Signwriting by hand and shorthand notation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jan 6 07:44:59 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
January 5, 2014

On Jan 5, 2014, at 3:59 PM, André L <andre-andre at hotmail.ca> wrote:
> I would like to see a copy of the book that teaches Signwriting by hand and shorthhand notation.
> I only found a few web pages. Thanks. André Lemyre

Hi André!

Well, that is true that the old book from 1982 is not online, mostly because it is so out-of-date, but as an historic book it would be good to post it - it will take me time to get to scanning the pages in - it was written before personal computers so it was done on an old electric typewriter and the shorthand diagrams were all done with an ink pen - I only have one copy of the book as far as I know, so it does need to be preserved...

During the Workshop Near The Beach in July, 2013, the last day of the workshop was on Handwriting (not Shorthand). Adam taught the workshop, using this booklet, which is only partially complete:

SignWriting Handwriting Manual 2013
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs10/sw0917_SignWriting_Handwriting_Manual_2013.pdf

Plus Adam has specific ways of teaching handwriting, and I will leave that to Adam to explain…obviously we need to work on a new and complete booklet -

and this booklet is similar to what is already posted online…you can see other student’s written pages here from an earlier course:

SignWriting Handwriting course
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/handwriting/

The above web page is fun because if you scroll down you can see the different writing styles of the students and they are all good ;-)

So that is all we have, besides the section online:

Write SignWriting By Hand
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/

Thanks for your great questions -

sutton at signwriting.org