SignWriting Symposium 2014 (SWS-2014)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jan 31 17:14:41 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
January 31, 2014

Dear SW List Members:
The SignWriting Symposium 2014 will be held online, rather than on the ground in La Jolla, California, as originally planned. I was unable to take on the enormous work load of coordinating the event on the ground. BUT, I am excited about the SignWriting Symposium 2014 Online… I hope you all will participate. Here is the information we have so far:

SignWriting Symposium 2014 (SWS-2014)
A Symposium Live Online July 21-24, 2014
Papers & Video Presentations on SignWriting from Around the World
Proceedings will be published in a Hardback Book and on the web

Information about submitting abstracts for the presentations will be coming in February.

Categories for Papers
and Video Presentations:

SignWriting in Education
SignWriting in Literature
SignWriting in Research
SignWriting in Software

SignWriting in Education
Teaching SignWriting to Deaf children and adults, parents of Deaf children and teachers of the Deaf.
Teaching SignWriting to autistic learners and others who are not necessarily Deaf, but who use sign language as their primary language.
Teaching a sign language to hearing and Deaf people, using SignWriting as a tool for writing down what is signed in class.
Teaching courses in linguistics and other research topics related to sign languages, using the SignWriting script as a part of the class.

SignWriting in Literature
Writing and publishing of sign language dictionaries, encyclopedia articles, religious books, children’s stories, novels, poetry, Deaf storytelling, newspaper articles and other sign language literature using the SignWriting script.

SignWriting in Research
Sharing your research on SignWriting, such as discussing the results of your dissertation or MA degree, or doing a linguistic analysis using SignWriting, or comparing notation systems including SignWriting, or presenting databases that include and are compiled using SignWriting.

SignWriting in Software
Development of SignWriting software and Apps to make it possible to produce SignWriting dictionaries, databases, literature and encyclopedias, such as Wikipedias, improved communication in SignWriting on mobile devices and on the web, and Avatars that use SignWriting.

If your presentation is related to using SignWriting in research, education, literature or software, your work will be accepted automatically. If you need help in preparing your presentation, we may be able to help you, so no worries. Creating both a video and a written paper will be welcome.

Your written papers will be published in a hardback book of the Proceedings and there will also be a web-version posted of the proceedings, including the videos and papers, that will continue on the web long after the SWS-2014 is over.

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu