SWORD and SWIFT

Fabrizio Borgia fabrizio.borgia at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 22 09:48:24 UTC 2014

Hi Jonathan,
thanks for contacting us, and thanks for your interest in the SWORD project
and in its digital artifacts.
Here are our answers:

   1. SWift is currently licensed under the Creative Commons
   Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.5) license.
   You can find further information about such license here:
   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
   2. SWift is currently on Alpha phase, it is actually functonal, but we
   plan to add/upgrade a number of features in the future.
   3. SWift is not actually downloadable (so far), since no installation
   bundle has been produced yet. Anyway, everyone can use SWift by visiting
   the following address: http://visel.di.uniroma1.it/SWift/.
   4. The best place is definitely Claudia's Ph.D. thesis (
   http://www.csbianchini.com/index.php/liste-commentee-des-publications?showall=&start=3),
   explaination of the rationale for the new classification availble on Part 4
   - Ch. I, and a mini-manual avaialble on Appendix III.
   5. The main problem is that the re-classification is partly theoretical,
   meaning that the glyphs have been defined, but not yet drawn (we do not
   have founding nor time at the moment to perform the drawing of the whole
   set of glyphs).
   6. The puppet is language dependent: we have a flash-based version, and
   a JavaScript/JQuery version, so it can be embedded into web applications.
   Anyway, porting the puppet for other programming languages should be a very
   easy task (it is just a set of images, and a set of event handlers).
   7. As the user composes a ad-hoc glyph, he/she is required to choose an
   anatomic area for it. We encode the glyph using such information, and a
   progressive counter.
   8. This feature is currently unsupported, since we'd like to discourage
   the indiscriminate use of the ad-hoc composition functionality. We are
   planning to insert this funcionality soon, anyway, with some limitations.

Thanks!

>  Hi Claudia, Maria, Fabrizio,
>     Thank you for your presentations today.  Very interesting.  Thank you
> for your good work with SWORD and SWIFT.  I had a few questions for you but
> was not able to ask them and get answers due to time limitations.
>
> So here they are.
> Thanks
>
> What is SWIFT program licensed under?
> At what stage of programing is SWIFT at? Alpha, Beta, or Production?
> Where can we download SWIFT?
> Where is the best place to get a concise explanation of the
> reclasification of the symbols and the rules?
> Is ISWA Bianchini available for other programs to implement?
> Can the puppet be implemented in other programs?
> How are ad hoc glyphs encoded? Several ISWA Bianchini codes with positon,
> etc? Can user create new ad hoc glyphs?
> Can the ad hoc glyph be saved to be added to signs written latter?
>
> Thanks once again.
>
> Regards
> --
>
> email: duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca