SignWriting 2010: TrueType fonts with SVG clarity

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Oct 7 22:42:16 UTC 2014

On 10/7/14, 3:50 PM, Bill Reese wrote:
> Steve,
> That sounds great!  I'm guessing that the SVG Refinement didn't have
> enough points or curves to provide a solution without retracing?

Hi Bill,

FontForge was having trouble importing the SVG Refinement because the
symbols were too small and too irregular.  Enlarging the SVG Refinement
by itself wasn't enough.  With the custom work that Adam Frost and I did
putting the SVG Refinement together, the SVGs were valid for display,
but FontForge choked on some weird issues.  This isn't an issue with the
SVG Refinement, but with the FontForge import.

Luckily, Inkscape is able to understand the SVG Refinement without any
issues.  A series of conversions later and I have a new SVG set that is
enlarged and more regular.   The FontForge results will be much better
with the new SVG set.

The SVG Line conversion has been running for the past 4 hours and the
hands are almost complete.  No crashing.  A few more hours and I will be
able to produce an accurate TrueType font.  I am very excited.

Then I need to run the whole conversion a few more times for the filling
and then for the shadow.  There are a couple of other cleanup issues
where I'll need to run partial conversions.  I should have all of the
source images done this week.

After I have the symbol glyphs accurately importing into FontForge, I
can focus on some of the TrueType properties that deal with alignment
and other such issues.

Regards,
-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org