[Sw-l] Need spoken language translations for user interface for SignMaker 2015

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Apr 4 05:25:25 UTC 2015

SignWriting List
April 3, 2015

André -
Thank you once again for your donation of time and energy - you are amazing and we appreciate this French translation for the user interface for the new SignMaker 2015 program.

I have one thought…as you know, I chose long ago to create names for our writing system that have the first letter of two words capitalized and then the two words are put together in a unit…like SignWriting, SignMaker, DanceWriting and so forth…it is my way of creating distinctive names for the writing system that people recognize…

So when translating these names, there have been differences…for example, in Spain they say “SignoEscritura” but in Mexico and Central America they say “SeñaEscritura”… that was an interesting realization to see that there were different ways to say it in Spanish depending on the region -

And in French Switzerland they have a great web site:

SignÉcriture
http://www.signecriture.org/Bienvenue.html <http://www.signecriture.org/Bienvenue.html>

So here is my question…How do you feel about the idea of creating a special name in French for SignMaker? Could it be “SignCréateur”? or “SignesCréateur”?

I realize it may seem funny at first, but it might be a way to recognize that it is a special name… if not that is ok too - just a thought -

Steve - we need to make sure the Title will fit - some of these languages will be longer than others ;-))

Val ;-)

--------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: