[Sw-l] Learning About Signwriting - Was Re: Presentation 42

Adrean Clark adreanaline at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 24 23:13:24 UTC 2015

Thank you for sharing another perspective. I appreciate it, and yes, all
due respect to the committee and presenters for coming this far. :)

Adrean

On Friday, July 24, 2015, Stephen E Slevinski Jr <slevin at signpuddle.net>
wrote:

> On 7/24/15 4:20 PM, Adrean Clark wrote:
>
>  One example of that is the Symposium. The presentations are a good idea
>> but it feels like academics talking with academics or programmers speaking
>> with programmers. Where would everyday people like me come in? Are we even
>> a part of the intended audience? It's impossible to be universal when
>> everyone has separate, specific needs.
>>

> Interesting points.  The symposium is for everyone.  For each person, some
> topics will be more valuable than others.  I know that some of my
> presentations were very detailed.  Not everyone needs this information, but
> some do.
>
> The presentations at the symposium are about SignWriting.  Whoever wants
> to present, is invited to present.  The symposium is what people make of it.
>
>  To be direct, and I'm sharing my personal feelings here -- I feel that
>> it's unfair that I, a native speaker of ASL, log in to Signwriting's
>> presentations only to see spoken voice as the main means of access to
>> information. How can I trust that Signwriting has the best interests of SL
>> at heart when the barrier to entry is so high, and when it echoes the very
>> oppression of spoken language that written SL is supposed to overcome?
>>

> This is a fair point and a valid concern.  We struggled with this issue,
> but decided it was better to do what we could rather than fight technology.
>
> Last year we tried live interpreting, but the technology was frustrating
> and got in the way.  We have plans for captioning and interpreting, but it
> is a big job.
>
> With 3 people, no budget, and a lot of inspiring presenters, I believe the
> symposium was a great success.  We have plans to make the information more
> widely accessible.  Please be patient.
>
> Regards,
> -Steve

> Valerie Sutton