[Sw-l] Request from Brazilian LIBRAS writer for Fingerspeller for LIBRAS

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Thu Mar 12 14:16:09 UTC 2015

Hi Val,

The process to create a new fingerspelling option is a two step
process.  Step 1) create a list of letters and the associated FSW
strings.  Step 2) properly center the FSW strings so that the
constructed fingerspellings will properly align.

Step 1 needs to be done by someone who knows the target language.
Primarily, they need to create the entries in SignPuddle for all of the
fingerspelling letters.  After that, they can point me to the correct
puddle/entries, or they can help me and compile the list for me like the
examples below.

The FingerSpelling feature of SignPuddle uses a simple text file per
set.  Here are the first 3 lines for ASL:
A,M507x507S1f720487x492
B,M507x507S14720493x485
C,M508x507S16d20491x487

The Germain Sign Language is interesting because it has letter
combinations for SS and SCH:
SS,M526x508S20320492x492S26506511x494
SCH,M512x507S14c20489x476

Step 2 is more involved and usually takes me an hour or two.  Each FSW
string needs to be re-centered so that the center of the palm is the
center of the sign.  I created a simple page that helps me re-center the
signs.
http://signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/fingercross.php?ui=1&sgn=4

For each letter, paste in the FSW string and adjust the horizontal and
vertical offsets accordingly.  Once the sign is properly re-centered,
copy the new FSW string and paste it into a text file.

After the text file has been created with all of the re-centered signs,
I can install it on SignPuddle online and it will be available in the
FingerSpelling feature.

Here are the current FingerSpelling files available.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/data/sgn/4.fngr
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/data/sgn/28.fngr
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/data/sgn/53.fngr

Regards,