[Sw-l] Styling a sign with color and size

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Wed Sep 2 17:34:31 UTC 2015

Hi SignWriting list,

Recently, I had the chance to talk with Jonathan Duncan (SignWriter
Studio) about several issues.  One issue he mentioned was size and color
within a sign.  It started me thinking, and I made a few improvements to
SignMaker and the SignWriting 2010 Javascript library.

I added padding, background color, and the colorize option.  Here is the
sign for SignWriting with a padding of 10, a background of "lightblue",
and the colorized option selected.  These options are now available in
SignMaker on both the PNG and SVG tabs.

For programmers and power-users, I have created a new type of string,
called the styling string.  The styling string succinctly describes
styling for the entire sign and for individual symbols.

The styling string for the above is: -CP10G(lightblue)
* C for colorize
* P10 for a padding of 10
* G(lightblue) for a background color of lightblue

You can use the styling string in SignMaker on the PNG or SVG tabs.

You can also use the styling string on the SignWriting 2010 Javascript
library API page.
http://slevinski.github.io/sw10js/api.html#sign

For the FSW, enter the sign string with the styling string at the end.
For example:
M523x535S10019478x475S10011502x466S2ea04507x502S2ea48485x510-CP10G(lightblue)

For the individual symbols within a sign, you can set the color and size
using a styling string.  This is not yet supported through the user
interface of SignMaker, except through the styling string.

Here are 3 examples were individual symbols have been doubled in size.

The styling string is definitely not a plain text concept, but it is
useful.  I've put a presentation together about the concepts with some
examples.
http://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/beyond-signwriting-plain-text

Regards,
~Steve