[Sw-l] Maltese Sign Language made official

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Mon Mar 21 11:40:34 UTC 2016

It's an exciting time to be in Malta! I had the pleasure to get to
celebrate with some of the key players following the decision and feel very
fortunate to have been able to witness the occasion!

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr <
slevin at signpuddle.net> wrote:

> On 3/18/16 9:20 AM, Marie Alexander wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to share the wonderful news that Maltese Sign Language (LSM)
>> is now an official language in Malta.
>>
> Hi Marie Alexander,
>
> That's great news!  I added a new section to the Wikipedia page on the
> legal recognition of sign languages.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_recognition_of_sign_languages#Malta
>
> There is, of course, a lot of work to be done to enable the law to make a
>> difference but this is the first big step.
>> Signwriting will play an important role as we hope to develop resources
>> through it too.
>>
> Yes, there is so much work to be done, but it's work that is worth doing.
>
> SignWriting is important for the development of real literacy and
> expression.  I look forward to hearing more about the future of Maltese
> Sign Language.
>
> Regards,
> -Steve

> Valerie Sutton