[Sw-l] Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) is 6 years old.

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Jan 12 17:42:33 EST 2018

Hi SignWriting List,

6 years ago today, I published the specification of Formal SignWriting
in ASCII (FSW).  Since the initial release, the characters have remained
the same.  Sign language written in FSW is safely encoded in a stable
standard that will be readable in 100 years from now.

To celebrate 6 years of FSW, I created a presentation about why I
created Formal SignWriting and about the organizing principles around
the design.

First, I believe in real literacy and that means reading and writing.
Literacy should be learned in a person's primary language as well as any
secondary languages.  FSW makes it possible to write and share sign
language in ways that are impossible with video.

Second, I believe in the utility of formal structures such as formal
conventions, formal order, freeform construction, and formal languages.
These structures make it possible to write sign language in FSW.

Lastly, I believe in the benefits of living forward.  I believe we
should learn from the past, apply in the present, and work towards the
future.  The real benefits of FSW will be in 100 years from now.  For
sign languages, FSW makes it possible to create a tradition in literacy
with writing that is documented and portable.

https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/organizing-principles-of-formal-signwriting-86091202

The same principles hold true for the 2017 characters of SignWriting in
Unicode (SWU).

Regards,
-Steve