[Sw-l] Steve's 2018 mid-year report for Sutton SignWriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Jul 3 12:45:24 EDT 2018

Hi SignWriting List,

The state of Sutton SignWriting is strong.  We have an established
International user base and we have the standards of 2010, 2012, and
2017 to build upon.  SignWriting is thriving and SignWriting is free.

I would love to hear about any projects around the world, or even a
status update from any of our teachers or groups.  If you have something
really great to report, consider adding to the SignWriting Symposium
with a set of files that can include any of the following: video,
powerpoint, PDF, or anything else.

This year, I'm going to have two additions to the SignWriting Symposium
2018: "For the Future of Sutton SignWriting" and "The SignPuddle 3 User
Experience".

The first presentation is available online:
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/for-the-future-of-sutton-signwriting-101403924

The second presentation is a work in progress and will be available
later this year.

My current focus is SignPuddle 3: a long term project.  I have an old
beta release of SignPuddle 3, but changing standards and designs have
caused delays.  I'm happy to report that the standards are set.   If you
would like to sign on your agreement with the standards of 2010, 2012,
or 2017, let me know through email, facebook, the SignWriting List, or
Patreon.  If you are a member of a school, university, or group, your
support is particularly important.

With the standards set, the next issue is the design.  This has also
changed over the years, at every level.  I've been trying to think at a
higher level, and I found the CUBI UX model: Content, User Goals,
Business Goals, and Interactions for User Experience.

While SignPuddle 2 was reactive and possible, the user experience was
secondary.  In 2004, I started with a two-dimensional understanding of
SignWriting and started to create data.  Over the years, I've kept the
data current through changes in symbol set and data encoding.
SignPuddle 2 still has deep legacy code with early formats.

For SignPuddle 3, I still need to maintain the existing data, but I also
need to straighten out the content.  In general, SignPuddle 3 will offer
several types of collections: interface, dictionary, literature,
fingerspell, and alphabet.

* Interface - used for front end translation into various languages.
* Dictionary - used for standardized spelling, PDF printing, and
software integration.
* Literature - used for collecting segments of text and ordering them
into a unit for editing, printing, and publishing.
* Fingerspell - used for converting spoken text into a fingerspelling
with SignWriting.
* Alphabet - used for the symbol palette and keyboard organization.

For the user goals and interactions, I'm hoping that people will want to
use the content in SignPuddle 3 to accomplish something, while at the
same time improving the content. I can imagine some of the goals, but
not all of the possibilities.  If you have any stories to tell about
your goals and ideal workflows, please share.

For the business goals, I have a hard deadline of January 2019 to find
additional funding.  While I learned a lot from the grant process, my
time is better spent finishing the new software.  Rather than raise
money through advertising or a paywall, I've decided to open a Patreon
account.  If you find my work useful and want it to continue, consider
becoming a patron with a small monthly donation as small as $1 a month.
I understand this isn't possible for everyone, but if enough people
support my work, I can continue and expand my efforts.
Become a Patron <https://www.patreon.com/signwriting>
https://patreon.com/signwriting

Over the next few months, I will be publishing parts of SignPuddle 3 as
it is ready.  I'm particularly excited about the integrated dictionary
and improved text editor.  New development will continue for 2018.

Regards,
-Steve
https://SteveSlevinski.me