[Sw-l] Sidewall curves

rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed May 2 21:15:17 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,  I have some questions about the sidewall curves.

񊃡

񊃢

񊃣

񊃤

The full set can be seen at http://signbank.org/SignWriting_Character_Viewer.html#?ui=en <http://signbank.org/SignWriting_Character_Viewer.html#?ui=en&set=key&sym=S2b1> &set=key&sym=S2b1

These are the four right handed curves that are named “Rotation Single hits chest”, or “Curves hit chest”.  Stephen Parkhurst explains:

These two arrows represent up-and-down movement that curves toward the body. The basic movement is up and down, so the arrow used is double stemmed.

The black dot between the arrow stems means that the hand moves closer to the body during its trajectory and then moves away.

So for example, if you were describing a big belly,  you might use one of these symbols. Or in ASL, versions of SANTACLAUS  and THANKSGIVING might use the third or fourth symbols going down from the chin to the chest.   The first and second symbols go up and out (toward the viewer) and then curve back toward the signer.  The third and fourth symbols go down and out and then curve back to the signer.

My question is:  what is the difference between the first and the second?  What is the difference between the third and fourth?  Are they just style variations?

I’d also like to verify my assumption that although these symbols are labelled as “rotations” they don’t necessarily involve a forearm twist, but rather the focus is on the movement of the hand, which could be caused by a forearm twist or could be the whole elbow-shoulder complex moving the hand in space.  Do I have that right?

Thanks!  Rachel