[Sw-l] Steve's Friday Update: 1 of 17

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Sep 7 10:45:34 EDT 2018

Hi Val and SignWriting List,

Here is my report for Friday, September 7th, 2018.  I usually send my
Friday updates to Val privately, but I thought I would share for the
remainder of 2018.  This is report 1 of 17.

I had another good week with SignPuddle 3 development.  I spent some
time working on the front-end layout.
It's coming along nicely.  I am using CSS grids and flexbox.

I was able to improve the button design with CSS flexbox.  The buttons
now look great in all of the browsers.

This week, I was also working on my build tools for the server side.
 From my source files, several different types of developer API
documentation are created using python scripts.  I have plain-text API
Blueprint, I have JSON data that is easy to parse, I have static HTML
documentation, and I have live API calls from HTML pages.  Developers
can use these tools to access the SignPuddle 3 data and features.

I am currently working on milestone 1: Searching for SignWriting in
Unicode (SWU) with the SignPuddle 3 databases.  I need to integrate
regular expression searching with UTF-32 using an SQLite database.
Technical work that needs to be done.  I almost have everything ready
for a trail run.  I should have this done early next week.

Next is the user interface and translation section.  While the developer
documentation is primarily in English, the SignPuddle 3 user interface
will be international, supporting multiple languages.  This effort
should take a week or two.  I will be working on the translation
front-end and the developer API.

Other than that, I was able to help a few people through email with
software.  There has been a lot of renewed interest in the PocketPuddle
and the PersonalPuddle.  I posted instructions for building a
PersonalPuddle v2 on Windows in the Sutton SignWriting facebook group.
The software is showing it's age, but it offers possibilities not
available anywhere else.

SignPuddle 3 will also have a PersonalPuddle counterpart.  I have an
improved design that will be available when I post the first release of
SignPuddle 3 later this year.  I'm really excited that the
PersonalPuddle will be able to print dictionaries to PDF without an
internet connection.  Next year, I hope to add literature to PDF printing.

Regard,
-Steve

-------------------------------------

PS - This report is 1 of 17 because there are 17 Fridays left in the
year 2018.  I am committed to SignWriting development, but 2019 is
uncertain.

Thanks to Valerie Sutton and the Center for Sutton Movement Writing, my
development work has been fully funded for the past 14 years.
Unfortunately, there is a structural funding problem with the non-profit
starting next year.  My development work for 2019 is only partly funded.

Rather than worry Valerie Sutton, I decided to start a Patreon campaign
for 2019 and beyond.  I am currently 5% towards my 2019 goal.  I
received two new patrons this week.  One person giving $10 a month, the
other giving $1 a month.  I am very grateful to you both.

I enjoy working with SignWriting and hope to continue with development
full-time.  If this is to happen, I need your support. I know that many
are not able to financially support my work and that is fine.  Our work
is free to use and I'm here to help. However, if you can afford even $1
a month, I would be happy to have you on the team.  Also, please
consider sharing my information with other people, groups, and institutions.

Thanks!
-Steve
http://SteveSlevinski.me
https://www.patreon.com/signwriting