[Sw-l] How to write signs in different locations?

Tue Aug 23 17:16:36 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
August 23, 2022

Hello Professor Rubens, Josenilson, Andre and everyone!

Thank you for your questions in this email.

First question: Touch-Between Symbols

Yes, you are right ... Add the Touch-Between-Symbols. That was my mistake. They are needed if you truly touch between the fingers and clearly you do ;-)

The Touch-Between symbols can be written in different angles as you can see by the attached diagram (for visual purposes), and you can even add more than just two-times, if you need three or four… put them together into threes or fours… although sometimes writers write the doubles and then leave it to the signer how many times they really repeat the action -

And you are right…. without the Touch-Between Symbol the reader would assume that the fingers were just on top of each other without the between -

Second question: Writing Depth with the Top View of the Head
The reason I threw that in the mix, was partly because your video or my captured photo from your video, seemed to show the hands further away from the mouth… the arms looked outstretched, as least to me, so I thought I might be misunderstanding what you meant.

But of course if you want the hands to truly be CLOSE to the mouth, but not touching, then here is another possibility…

Notice how the Head is seen from Top, but the hands and Movement Symbols are still seen from the Front - we can mix viewpoints -

Thanks for your questions - and Andre, I am focusing on your writing next - you make a good points too!

Val ;-)