[Sw-l] Head position symbols

Fri Jun 3 04:31:00 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
June 2, 2022

Hello everyone, and Rubens -

Perhaps you have visited the SignWriting HTML Reference Guide, that lists symbols for the Head?

Symbol Group 22: Head
https://www.signbank.org/iswa/2ff_sg.html

I attach a screen capture. This is a listing of the Head Symbols, with a small description for every symbol.

As you can see in the attached screen capture, when the Tilt Symbol is placed “on top of the circle for the Head", as in Base Symbol 515, it is showing a Tilting “Movement”. It is Head Movement when it is above the Head circle. It is a motion - a real "action of tilting".

But when the Tilting symbol is placed in the middle of the Facial Circle, as in BaseSymbol 520, it represents a Tilted, static “Position” of the NOSE on the Face.  The tilted nose is “held” in a tilted position that does not move but stays tilted… it is static...

I am sure you are all wondering…what is the difference? Ha!

Well, imagine if you want to show touching your nose while your head is tilted and the nose is at an angle … versus a real Head Movement of Tilt-Tilt-Tilt -

Movements and positions have a slightly different feel, but they are very close… see attached - I will show you some literature next - especially Cat in the Hat in ASL…

Val ;-)