[Sw-l] SignPuddle 2 updates

Steve Slevinski slevin at signpuddle.net
Sun Dec 10 21:26:43 UTC 2023

Hi SignWriting list,

I'm glad that people still find SignPuddle 2 useful.  I am happy I can
keep it running. Recently, I needed to make two important updates.

First, South Korea has over 32 thousand sign entries.  They have added 5
thousand entries in the last week alone.  They had up to 12 editors
working at the same time.  This was causing an issue that would lock the
dictionary and prevent searching.  I had to repair the dictionary
several times before I finally found the problem and fixed the code.  It
was been working flawlessly for the past two weeks.  They were able to
finish a huge project and I can't wait to see the results.

Second, Brazil has almost 50 thousand sign entries.  This was causing an
issue with the Translate feature.  Due to the size of the dictionary,
long translation requests were taking too long and timing out.  I had to
rewrite the Translation page to get it to work, but I was able to
complete the update today.  My testing shows that it is working the same
as before, but much faster.

Lastly, the legacy server recently became unresponsive and several of
the websites wouldn't load.  I rebooted the server and everything is
working again.

If you have any issues, please let me know.

Regards,
-Steve

PS: If you find the software and websites useful, please consider
supporting my ongoing maintenance and future developments by joining my
Patreon campaign or donating through PayPal. Your contribution will help
me continue to provide free software and websites to everyone.
* https://www.patreon.com/signwriting
* https://donate.sutton-signwriting.io