[Sw-l] SignWriting history

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Tue Nov 7 17:09:44 UTC 2023

SignWriting List
November 7, 2023

Thank you, Honza and your SW History student, for your project on SW History in the Czech Republic. Thank you for asking this question:

Honza wrote"
"sure, this booklet will be very helpful. Does the videos you transcribed still exist?”

We have videos and the old transcriptions for two books written by Danish signers in 1984 and 1986. Those are beautiful old documents and the videos can be found…

We have old videos connected with these two publications in Danish Sign Language. I did not write them…native signers wrote them in the old writing system

1984
https://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs12/sw1188_Denmark_1985_Tredive_30_Tegn_Fra_Doves_Tegnsprog_in_SignWriting.pdf

1986
https://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs12/sw1190_Denmark_1986_Vejledning_Videoundervisningprogrammet_Tegnsprog_TegnSkrift.pdf

But the OLDEST video transcriptions are in the 1970s… and those videos might be hard for me to locate. That was the time before personal computers, and I was writing everything by hand, plus the videos I was transcribing were on tape… there were no video machines... … I am sure you know what I mean…

I need to find the researchers at the University of Copenhagen to see if they can help me locate them….not all of them are on the earthly plane any longer - it has been 50 years...

I look forward to this project which will be of use to everyone...

Val ;-)

---------