[Sw-l] Punctuations in Signwriting.

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Fri Nov 10 04:02:27 UTC 2023

SignWriting List,
November 9, 2023

Thank you Joao. Glad we can communicate on the SignWriting List using Google Translate.

Regarding EyeGaze Back-Diagonal and Straight Back - They are rarely used, and oftentimes misunderstood … They are used MOST for when the body is facing the corner (the diagonal of the room), or even the side wall, when writing mime or gesture…the Back Eyegaze changes meaning depending on where you are facing… if the signer turns around and faces the reader it can become a front gaze - SignWriting is based on Movement Writing which can write movement from any perspective...

We have some old documents, like Cat in the Hat written by Cherie Wren (historic writing that is really wonderful), where the eye-gaze changes depending on your shoulder facing… I will look for some examples to create a little lesson on this…

Here is an example from SignPuddle 2, in the Brazilian Literatura section. I searched for signs that used the Eyegaze Back Diagonal symbol and this is what I found…the signer is facing the Front Right Corner and gazing back left over his left shoulder