[Sw-l] Question about writing with Handshape from different perspectives

Adam Frost icemandeaf at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 15:06:34 UTC 2023

I don’t think there is any specific published guideline mainly because there are so many possible cases when one might work better than the other and the same the other way around in other cases. The best rule of thumb is choose what most writers/readers choose. ;-)

My personal observation is most writers/readers prefer to stay within the same perspective, as you mentioned already. I have also noticed that most prefer to write in the front view whenever possible. So if both symbols can be written in the front view, write that.

However, there are cases when symbols are better understood when in another view. This can happen when there are fingers on the symbol and they prevent placement of the symbol in some way. To illustrate, I have taken your example and added a thumb. (I am not suggesting that your writing should have the thumb, just showing a case where one palm facing would be better than another due to overlapping.)

 vs

Notice that the second writing has an issue with the symbol placement because of the thumb hitting the other symbol. The same could happen with the first symbol if the other symbol needed to be placed on top.

 vs

I know this isn’t the best example as this probably wouldn’t be an actual sign, but it does illustrate how sometimes mixing front and top view can be the preferred choice.

Adam