[Sw-l] Discussion about the illogical structures in the fill function of the hand orientation of some hand symbols in the GitHUB Unicode of Sutton SignWriting symbols

Craxton Peter Jakob Peter-Jakob.Craxton at haw-landshut.de
Thu Mar 14 16:35:04 UTC 2024

Hello SignWriting List members,

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Peter Craxton and I am working with Uta Meissner in a project funded by the German government. The aim of this project is to develop a Signlexicon (www.sign4all.de<http://www.sign4all.de>) that has a SignWriting image using Sutton SignWriting Unicode.
Uta works on improving the efficiency of the SignMaker application. Every day, my project team members and Uta write sign gestures using SignMaker. In Sign4All and Sign2MINT there are more than 7,000 sign gestures with SWU. We will be writing several thousand sign gestures.

The speed of creating SignWriting images for every sign gesture is increasing. We use various functions of SignMaker. However, there is confusion in creating SignWriting images in the Fill function of hand symbols.

I would like to give some hints about the structures of the hand orientation of some symbols which are not logical. First, I will show some examples that are logical and some that are illogical:

1. example (logical):  „B“- hand shape ( U+41AA1)

[cid:0B8CC678-8B0F-4789-9656-34A2DB9B6BCA]

I think that we can follow hand orientation by thumb fingers. That is logical structure which we can fill hand symbols effectively.

2. example (illogical): "Rein Hand“ (one of 30 phonemes in the DGS German Sign Language) (U+457C1 (https://slevinski.github.io/SuttonSignWriting/characters/symbols.html#?ui=en&set=swu&sym=457C1))

Please see following picture.

[cid:30FACDE1-E3D2-4AB8-80AA-14F256367BA9]

There are some other illogical structures in the following links:

https://slevinski.github.io/SuttonSignWriting/characters/symbols.html#?ui=en&set=swu&sym=458E1
https://slevinski.github.io/SuttonSignWriting/characters/symbols.html#?ui=en&set=swu&sym=45B81
https://slevinski.github.io/SuttonSignWriting/characters/symbols.html#?ui=en&set=swu&sym=45941

We can follow the structure of the black and half-black filled hand symbols, but the white filled hand symbols show fingers on the other side.
My team members and Uta have a different perspective in the signwriting of the "controller" gesture: https://sign4all.de/entry/Controller/recSqqLlJ0E52fLTT

Another example that shows the correct picture but the wrong symbol: https://sign4all.de/entry/Behandlungszimmer/reck6lCgZwxr5YqHF

Both perspectives are correct, but they lead to discussions about what is right or wrong.

I am curious how the different structures of hand symbols were determined. I think if the hand symbols in the red circle were restructured / moved, it would be more logical. What do you think?

I am delighted to begin this discussion. Thank you!

Best wishes

Peter Craxton

[cid:167C1783-49B0-4978-9259-782B8DE3A226]