[Teach-grammar] Intro, & asking for publisher suggestions

Kuha, Mai mkuha at bsu.edu
Wed Jul 15 22:30:44 UTC 2015

Hello everyone! Glad to be on this list and to have the opportunity to share ideas with you all.

To introduce myself, my interests are primarily in ecolinguistics and sociolinguistics, but quite often I get to teach an undergraduate course on sentence structure in modern English that I enjoy thoroughly. We don't offer an undergraduate linguistics major here, so the students who take this course are mostly education majors, plus some English majors and a smattering of others, almost always native speakers of American English. The challenge in this course for me is to dispel myths without scaring or discouraging the students (a situation familiar to many of you, maybe?).

This leads me to a question I have for you. For this course, I've developed a number of exercises that go beyond the usual basic drills, applying the analysis of sentence structure to real-life contexts: critiquing political discourse, explaining the humor in certain jokes, understanding how certain structures are difficult for children with a language impairment, and so on. I'd like to get them published as a workbook, as I'm pretty sure a book like this doesn't exist yet (but if you have counter-examples, please tell me!). My initial review of  publishers suggests that I should go off the deep end and try sending my book proposal to Cambridge University Press or to Routledge, which seems daunting, as this manuscript would be my first. Could anyone make a recommendation as to which publisher I should try?

Thanks in advance!

Mai
--
Mai Kuha