Vale Prof. Gong Hwang-cherng

Randy LaPolla R.LaPolla at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Sep 21 01:53:39 UTC 2010

It is unfortunate that the first message sent on the new TB listserv address is to announce the passing of one of the great scholars of our field, Prof. Gong Hwang-cherng. Please see the attached obituary by Prof. Jackson Sun, Director of the Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica, and a photo taken with Prof. Feng Zheng at the ILAS in October 2009, possibly one of the last photos taken of Prof. Gong.

See also the memorial web site for Prof. Gong:
http://www.ling.sinica.edu.tw/hcgong/im00.asp

As that site is mostly in Chinese, you can also get some information from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gong_Hwang_cherng

The next issue of LTBA will be dedicated to Prof. Gong. If anyone would like to put together or contribute to a later special issue of LTBA of work that builds on Prof. Gong’s contributions, please contact me.

With great sadness,
Randy